Thursday, January 5, 2012

First email from the MTC


Tanner in front of the Provo Temple just before he entered the MTC.
Tanner with his Grandpa and Grandma Anderson

Tanner with his cousin Kimball Anderson

On his way!
Dear family,

     They gave us three hours of personal time today so that we could write home and do laundry. Our P-Day is going to be on Thursdays, so you can expect me to respond to letters and your emails on Thursday. I miss all of you! I've only been here three days but it feels like I've been gone for a month. The days here feel very long because we have been doing so much everyday. The more experienced Elders keep telling my District and I that the days start to not feel so long after you make it to the first Sunday.

     I am loving it here so far! The first day was really hard because I was really tired from getting up for the flight to Salt Lake City and they really throw alot at you on your first day. I met my first companion, Elder Girot (pronounced kind of like churro), and he is really nice. He is from Springville, Utah, which is only like 10 minutes away from here. In our first class, the teacher would only talk to us in Spanish because we are an intermediate Spanish level District, he told us that we would be teaching our first discussion to an investigator all in Spanish on Friday.

     The past couple of days were really tough getting used to all the Spanish, learning, and schedule. We get up at 6:30 in the morning and are super busy until 10:30 at night. I amazed at how I have been able to keep up the fast pace here for the past couple days. It is getting easier each day as I get more used to the lifestyle and what is expected of me, and I know that the Lord is helping me because there is no way that I could do this on my own.

     Teaching the investigator in Spanish on Friday was very humbling because it showed how little my companion and I knew about teaching and how to express ourselves in Spanish. I guess that was the point. We taught him again today and we will be teaching the same investigator everyday almost for the next two weeks. Today went way better. My Spanish skills have really improved in just the few days I've been here. I can't wait to see how well I can talk in Spanish in 9 weeks.

     I was assigned as the District Leader of my District. We have 8 Elders in our district, but two are leaving in 3 weeks for the Peru MTC. I love the Elders in my District, they are all really nice and we all get along very well. They also all have a desire to work hard and improve and to follow all of the rules. I am very grateful for them.

     Tell Uncle Jeff and Aunt Lisa that I am very thankful for the package of treats they sent me! It really helped me to feel better when I was adjusting here. I am very grateful that I had the opportunity to go to college and that I took Spanish 3 in Highs School because what I have learned has really helped me here. I'm not very good at writing emails like this so I apologize and I will hopefully improve as I write more. I love you all and I will keep you in my prayers. I hope you have a happy New Years!

Con Amor,
Elder Johns

No comments:

Post a Comment